Friday, December 30, 2022

December 30, 2022 – A Handful of Stockies on My Penultimate Outing of the Year – SEPA Freestoner

A warm day in late December.

With my family’s winter break winding down, I decided to spend a little time alone outdoors today.  The togetherness is fun, and we even built a Lego pyramid of some 1400+ pieces and had some other moments of throwback fun with our growing teen, but I needed to fish with those temperatures inching up for the last few days.  I only had a few hours midday, so I checked off a second winter stockie experience that had been on my list.  I guess the last one will be the Tully at some point, maybe next week.  Before that, Eric and I are going to poke around our little spot on Saturday morning before the rain arrives.  Despite air temperatures close to 60 degrees today, fishing was not on fire, and I had little patience to sit in a hole and midge once I landed a couple fish under a bobber on an SJ worm.  I took a walk and got a couple more floating the sighter with a single frenchie.  A few other bait fishermen were out, but no fish on stringers, and I saw a lot more fish than I landed, so there are plenty left.  Sadly, they were bunched up in a couple places, just like the fishermen.  For the last hour or more, I walked deeper into the park to some old favorite holes where I had taken my dad in the past.  I even took Eric and Chris H. up here on separate occasions.  I am pretty good at spotting fish, and it’s not that challenging in clear, winter freestone water, but I did not see a single trout in these old favorite holes.  There was plenty of water in them, but I had a feeling by the amount of bushwhacking I had to do to get into them (and out again) that no one carried buckets back here this fall.  While looking for some barn cats that I used to track with the boy when he was little, I pushed two good-sized bucks out into the field for a long-distance photoshoot.  I figured that was a good way to end the afternoon, so I took a walk in the woods back to my parking spot instead of backtracking for another fish.  Compared to the club stocked fish earlier this month, the four mutant bows I landed earlier were looking pretty rough, anyway.  Hopefully, we find some pretty wild browns tomorrow.

Rough looking stockies and tough looking bucks.



3 comments:

  1. " I am pretty good at spotting fish, and it’s not that challenging in clear, winter freestone water, but I did not see a single trout in these old favorite holes."

    Glad you mentioned that because it bugs me about the mid-day feed you seem to try for in the winter. With leaves down, clear water bright sun those fish are really risking death from above to gain a few degrees of water temp in winter. Not doubting your mid-day results, but just musing about the risk management courses that trout attend.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think rear view mirrors on the trouts would ruin fly fishing! Stealthy approach from behind and from a distance gets harder as I age, but it is reason stay limber ;) Happy New Year, and thanks for all the questions and comments over the years! One more piggy coming from 12/31. Eric and I finally found "the one" at our secret spot!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Dave! Thanks for all the questions and comments over the years, too. I want to see pics from Patagonia!

    ReplyDelete