Tuesday, March 12, 2024

March 12, 2024 – A Couple Stolen Hours on a Tuesday – Valley Creek

A real fish?

Well, I beat the steadier breeze today by fishing from 8:30 to 10:30, but I also beat the warmup and the olives by at least an hour or two.  My workday was pretty loaded towards the afternoon, but I had a quiet morning after getting the boy to school, so I suited up and braved Tuesday rush hour traffic—still not used to that, and I typically take the train to work when I am in-person—and I made my way to Valley for a visit.  There were a lot of boot prints, which is not surprising, and I even spooked another dude out before 10 AM, but I think I had first crack at a few holes today.  The holes weren’t cooperating, however.  The water is still up and a bit cold, but visibility was perfect for nymphing, so I am sure it would have gotten better had I more time to wait for them to rise off the bottom and sink bank to the tailouts in anticipation of the potential afternoon feast.  That said, I caught a few fish, including one the Silver Fox likes to call a real size fish with respect to Valley—probably 9 or 10 inches, which says a lot about the Valley average, of course.  I caught a couple on an 18 perdigon and 6X in two moderately flowing runs.  The better fish hit Eric’s version of the sculpin snack, with an extra bead added by yours truly, when I decided to switch it up and look for something bigger.  When I tactfully texted a mitch a critique on my free fly this morning, he informed me that he already has some 4.6 mm beads on the way and will be whipping up the heavier versions soon.  He’s a smart mitch, at least.

Some crick pics for RR and a better shot of Eric's bugger?

I am trying to figure out a day to give it a real try, but this week is busy.  I do have Thursday morning open again (so far), and I can leave a bit earlier that day, so I am hoping the continued warmth opens up the morning hours for me one more time before the weekend.  And I am also hoping that the next round of rain does not ice the weekend’s potential.  Olives are a midday thing, but there are still fish who haunt that early bite time, sometimes the better ones, so who knows, you know?  Speaking of early: Jeff already wants to fish for striped bass, but I am not ready to soak bloodworms, so I keep putting him off, gently.  He will eventually win when I can slow roll some soft plastics with a level of confidence that warrants the long drive.  I also have a 9 weight and some intermediate line if I am feeling really confident!

A couple perdigon eaters early.




4 comments:

  1. I guess the non stocked streams are getting used heavy now till opening day..........plus the nice warm weather!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no! All the special reg creeks are getting pounded base on the YouTube videos. I have not been to a DHALO or FF section yet this spring, but if I get desperate and only have a couple hours, I might. I guess the creek I fished on 3/4 is technically a special regs crick, but it is a former Trophy Trout, now Slot Limit, not stocked just regulated to keep folks from eating the 22 inch wild brown I caught there a couple years ago!

      Delete
  2. Nice report. I've hit Valley a few times already this month, usually when the flows are up and the water stained albeit pretty cold. Lots of the usual little suspects, which is fine with me. I did hook up with one beast last weekend. Never got a good look at him but I felt him for sure. Broke off after a minute or two but now I know the where, when, how and with what. Thats the one that'll keep me coming back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Dave! Yeah, it is amazing that that creek still hides some very big fish. He will use that spot for a while too if the habitat stays intact. Go get him!

      Delete