Monday, March 4, 2024

March 4, 2024 – Looked More Promising Than It Was – Northampton County

A few cooperated.  This one hooked recently, yeah?

With flows so good, I went out this morning around 8:45 AM hoping to move a piggy on a streamer or something exciting. When that tactic netted only two small fish, and midday was fast approaching, I chose not to ignore the baetis flitting about, and salvaged the trip with a few more average fish with the nymph rig.  This creek gets pounded, so I am sure there were a dozen guys out on Sunday when it was perfect weather for humans, but today was a better day for those olives.  A lot of boot prints evident early, but I encountered no fishermen to start.  I miss having my Tuesdays, however.  I used to have the luxury of resting a few of these creeks at least a day after the weekend before giving them a fresher shot on Tuesday or Wednesday—not that I think it much matters with the post-quarantine pressure on the creeks in this region.  I keep hoping that will fizzle over time, and it has to some extent, but a few dudes showed up around 10:30 or 11 AM.  I had to quit before noon today, anyway, as this was a workday in theory.  By that time, I was working pocket water with some bugs heavy enough to get down.  Flows were still a bit sporty yet, but I did see a few fish show chasing emerging bugs late in the morning. 

Had potential this morning.

None of my trickier, go-to spots worked out, and one of them produced a rainbow.  Parts of the creek are stocked, but until recently I rarely encountered a bow in these parts.  I even caught a golden last year, I believe.  I hope this stream is not going the way of the Little Lehigh.  I will not pass judgement until May when the caddis really turn this place on, but I think I said that last year!  Besides the bugger fish, the others took either a size 12 perdigon I was using to get under the heavier current to the holes that I know hold better fish at times, or they took the soft hackle pheasant tail I had way up the line on the dropper tag.  Even though two fish ate that dropper, I did not get a touch letting the drift swing out a little at the end.  Working from home this week, so if more rain arrives tonight and gages look good, I may give it go tomorrow morning a little closer to home, maybe even with the streamer rod.  If not, it was still good to take advantage this morning and go catch a few on a weekday.

I could have thrown something more closely BWO, but this holdover didn't seem to mind a little pt...


2 comments:

  1. Good to see you out! You're like on of those hockey guys who get stitched up and ump right back in!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't keep a good mitch down! I did sleep in today, however...

      Delete