Tuesday, April 19, 2016

April 19, 2016 – Wissahickon Creek before Work

A warm, sunny morning on the Wissy.




















Without some rain soon, the Wissy is going to be too warm in no time.  I took a temp reading today of 61 degrees, and overnight air temps are barely dropping below 55 degrees.  Bass, carp, sunfish, rock bass, and trout were all active today, although there were no hatches like last week after the showers and clouds.  I brought the fly rod down to the creek for a little more than two hours, and I had some success on both the caddis larvae and the size 20 pheasant tail dropper.  With high sun (I was fishing from 10 to noon-ish) the fish were not feeding aggressively, but that gave me a chance to dredge up some finicky, pressured fish before I headed in to work.

All rainbows on caddis larvae or small dropper.
I targeted a few deep, braided holes, and they all held at least a couple fish.  I also had a few bonus fish that came from isolated runs and pockets as I walked to the next spot. No other anglers were out, just dog walkers and joggers, but I am sure the fish got hammered over the beautiful weekend, especially since it was stocked on April 12.  I ended up getting 8 trout and dropping a couple others who probably took the very small pt.  I also landed a few bass and other panfish.  None of the trout was very big or very small, just average.  I caught no browns today either.  It was the browns who were on the olives and midges and the odd caddis last week, so maybe they are feeding early and late.  The creek gets one more stocking, but there are plenty left in there.  I just hope it rains, so I have a chance at them in May and beyond.

A couple were spread out in small runs and pockets in between desintantions.

No comments:

Post a Comment