Sunday, April 24, 2016

April 24, 2016 – Even a Blind Brownie Finds a Midge…

Had to work for them, but I did bring 6 to the net.




















I was up at 4:30 AM and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I finally just got out of bed, suited up, and took a short drive to the Wissy on this cold Sunday morning.  After a bit of rain yesterday, it got breezy and chilly overnight.  It was not below freezing when I arrived, but it was only 36 degrees at 6:30 AM.  Besides one or two risers, it was quiet for the first 45 minutes, but the last hour before I quit on a high note definitely had its moments.  Fish were picky, but I did manage 4 rainbows on a size 18 prince nymph dropped under a size 16 caddis larvae.  Two browns, including the fish with one eye pictured below took the caddis, for an even half-dozen in a couple hours of fishing.  

One-eyed brownie.
The eye was healed shut, so this was a genetic mutation or an injury in the hatchery, not foul play or angler malfeasance.  He swam away fine to fight again.  Despite being cold, it was still a nice morning.  I saw some deer crossing the creek, and a barred owl was actively hooting somewhere high in trees.  It was tough going to land 6 fish in 2 hours but, then again, I was only 3 minutes from my house.  I was home having coffee at 9:30 AM, which is nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment