Monday, April 3, 2017

April 3, 2017 – Chasing Bigger Stockies in Good Pocket Water – Pennypack Creek

Whoops, that close!!




















One thing I can count on at this stretch of the Pennypack is that the fish will be hard to photograph.  Having lived in pocket water, some of them for months, they get strong and ornery for obvious reasons.  I had fun tangling with about 10 rainbows in the 14 to 16 inch range on my 8’6” 4 weight rod today, all within a couple hours.  I landed most on a jigged pheasant tail, but I got a few on a brassie midge and a couple on a black bugger with a hot bead.  I also had a good conversation with a representative from the local TU, to which I technically belong, I guess.  You see, I send money to Trout Unlimited every year, and I have to select a local chapter.  The closest is this chapter and, yet, I have never attended a meeting or function.  I will be sending them a donation for the stocking this year, however.  The guys, most of them not all that young, put some nice fish in the creek and take pretty good care of it too.  The experience is usually a hair better than your average approved trout water, and today was no exception.  It was a fun outing close to home.


Fun water to fish.
Today was my first day with only one job, at least in a very long time.  It was also the first day I was officially working from home, which was kind of weird.  Sure, I work from home all the time, but I had to go to the office at some point in the day.  Now, unless I am teaching on campus or have an in-person meeting, I am in the “home office.”  It is especially weird seeing the family off in the morning while I stay behind.  I could get used to it, however.  Take today, for instance.  I was up really early and put in at least 4 hours of work grading papers and assignments, which left me the late morning to go fishing (and more grading after dinner, but it was worth it).

14 inches is not a bad average.




















Besides the angler from TU who did well with a tenkara rod, I only saw one other fly angler out prospecting.  It was a great, mild and sunny day, and the fish didn’t mind because the creek was still stained with good flows.  Perched on some rocks and high sticking or fishing a small indicator, I was able to land, if not photograph, a good bunch of fish.  I even got to stand on Tom the Silver Fox’s favorite rock and net a few fat bows.  Since my best fish decided to leap back in before the photo, I figured Tom would like a shot of my wet hand and the underside of his favorite perch (and a faint glimpse of the angry bow’s tail).  I actually have to leave the house to work tomorrow, but I may be back at it on Wednesday after the rain tonight and Tuesday.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice time! "Jigged Pheasant Tail" refers to a variation of a Pheasant Tail Nymph or the technique?

    Thanks, RR

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just a pt on a jig hook (and usually heavier) which makes it good for tight-line nymphing. It sits up like a jig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite section of Pennypack to fish for trout. It feels like I am fishing for wilds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice spot. I sent them 25 bucks this week for the next stocking.

      Delete