Monday, April 10, 2017

April 9, 2017 – Just Down the Street – Wissahickon Creek

A half a dozen does miffed at me tramping through the woods to the creek.




















Following a long, busy Sunday that started early, I was falling asleep on the couch around 5:30 PM.  Instead of succumbing to the nap, I decided to take a walk in the woods down the street, and bring along the fly rod, of course.  It was about 6 PM before I was suited up and pushing deer out of the field across the street, and it got dark quickly, but I managed a rainbow and a smallmouth on midges in the short time I was down there.  

Pressured fish will still take a midge...




















The rainbow took a size 20 flashy hare’s ear, which I later lost in a low light back cast, and the bass took a red brassie.  I caught the bass fishing to rises in a flat pool, hoping they were trout.  The water is clearing up, but I think the place has been pressured due to the great weather and water conditions because I did not see much life in the creek.

Where he should have been.
I dug around my pack looking for a streamer around dusk, only to realize that I had brought the steamer box with the boy and me when we headed to NEPA on Saturday.  It was still in my other pack. Instead of re-rigging, I fished an indicator until it was too dark to see.  I missed only one other hit in a very deep hole, but I was happy to catch a couple fish and get in a good walk on a mild Sunday evening.  The pleasure of a nap would have paled in comparison, I would like to believe.

At least these guys are rising to insect life.

























2 comments:

  1. Yesterday morning at 7 AM, I fished the Bell's MIll section (covered bridge to Germantown Ave.) for a few hours and did not see any fish swimming in that section of the creek either. Saw 1 other fly fisherman, but the dozen and a half of the other fisherman had about 6 trout in total. I had one hooked for a few seconds and missed a good strike. If I decide to go fish the Wissy again this year, I'm going to go a few miles south and fish the less accessible areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is worse on Montgo too. I think they put in less than a thousand fish for 2000 anglers, and it doesn't get stocked again for 8 days... I could wet wade it yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete