Thursday, April 19, 2018

April 19, 2018 – And on that Note… - A Short and Silly One on the Wissahickon

Double shot Tuesday on Thursday: who was more embarrassed, I wonder?




















I needed a break from reading papers all morning (and last night), but I had to stay close to home, so I visited the Wissy in my neighborhood today from noon until about 2 PM, and I unwittingly happened upon another fresh stocking.  I looked up the date when I got home, and it was a couple days ago, so they weren’t so fresh that they weren’t hungry.  Needless to say, it was just silly, ending in a double—one on the dropper and one on the anchor fly.  The two browns were small enough and the distance between my dropper tag and the anchor fly far enough that I could net them both for what must have been an embarrassing photo shoot for them, I imagine.

A freshly stocked little piggy.




















Parking was tough due to a construction crew taking over the lot, so I had to park above a popular bridge pool on a side street  I stopped at this popular bridge to test my tightline nymphing technique in flat deep water, and I landed about 6 rainbows before moving on to better water with less traffic and construction noise.  It was cold and drizzling, with a handful of harder showers mixed in, so I was the only stick on the crick besides a couple bait guys chilling in carp water with the buckets and the radio and such.

Most of the bows on the small dropper.

































I found the motherlode of browns in another spot and stood waist deep in cold water in the rain until I had my fill of fish and the elements.  After taking a few on a tightline, I also scored a few more letting the flies swing, and I finally ended in true silly fashion by gently hopping my big jigged pheasant tail anchor fly in a deep eddie.  That yielded another handful before the double shot happened and I quit, perhaps as embarrassed as the two browns in the net, and headed for the gas fireplace and a cup of coffee with Lucy the cat. 

Just a lot of averaged sized browns on a cold, rainy day.
























4 comments:

  1. Double headers are for the salt I thought. Well done!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many weakfish double headers, hopefully not a thing of the past!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you need a good day away from fly rod stock trout. Just about every species in the area chews good right now and a couple of my buddies are getting some bass on the D. Dont fall for the false prophet of stock trout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful that I was able to sneak out this week so close to home, but yeah I have had my fill for a while!

      Delete