Monday, April 23, 2018

April 23, 2018 – Another Day, Another Double – Bluebird Afternoon Walk Down to the Wissahickon

Where's Waldo?

































I went out to breakfast with my lovely wife and ran a couple errands before grading papers this morning and planning my lessons for Tuesday’s classes.  I am sure fishing was better in the morning before it got very sunny and a little breezy, but I felt compelled to take a walk down the street around 1 PM today, just to stretch the legs and toss my 9 foot 5 weight rod, which was rigged with a streamer.  The water levels were not as high as I had expected, and the stain is finally gone, so I only got a few follows taking the active approach to fishing.  I eventually rigged up to nymph two specific deep holes, and I dredged up about 6 fish in a couple hours, including another double—one on both the dropper and the anchor fly on the same hookset.  I wasn’t luck enough to net both for a photo this time, but I also didn’t have to deal with twisted leader and tippet material.

Had to plumb two deep holes with a big tungsten jig to land half a dozen.




















I caught my first sunfish of the year from the creek, so it was probably smart to give my local creek one more shot before the party is over.  As it is, the Wissy in this area only gets two stockings, likely because the water warms so quickly, and that stocking happened last week.  There are fish left, and with a little shot of rain or more bugs, they might get caught before they go belly up.  I enjoyed the walk, though, twice spooking a small herd of deer from their afternoon naps.  See if you can find them in the shot above; it took me a while, and I am the one who took the pictures.  Thursday might be my next opportunity to fish, but depending on how much rain we get, perhaps Wednesday morning close to home, maybe Valley, double up on a couple 4 inch wild fish instead??


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why chase 4 inch wild fish when the stripers and shad are in town? Smallies should be prespawn hungry and the kitty cats are waking up.

    Spring is here, finally. Currently in the only 2 weeks per school year up here where you can actually go outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if you could only double duty on them palaminos!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! The valley is a hidden gem! Happy Birthday! and 12 month countdown to fun times!!! 6 months for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am there, bud. November is peak striped times, and that way you'll avoid embarrassing Russian pee tapes...

      Delete