Friday, February 12, 2021

February 12, 2021 – More Snow Trout – Northampton County Limestoner

Pretty deep, pretty cold, pretty day.

Even in Philly, the air temperature was not going to go above 30 today, but I had to get out for a walk in waders even if the fishing was bad.  Another week or more had passed with snow and frigid daytime temperatures, at least on the days I had free to get out and fish, so today was the day regardless. I took my time, not leaving the house until around 12:30.  It was still only 27 degrees at best when I arrived at the creek an hour later.  I wasn’t even sure I could find parking here, and that is often the rub with traveling any distance to fish during a particularly snowy winter, but I sort of found some.  The lots were not plowed since the first dump of nearly two feet, and there was fresh powder up to 5 inches on top of that, but I just drove down an access road as far as the plows went and called it good.  I was only going to be a couple hours, maybe three, and there were no signs about parking or not parking where I did, so I tried to leave room for an emergency vehicle (with a 24-inch lift kit) to get by if needed and suited up for a vigorous walk in the unmarred snow pack. 

More snow shots and a surprise visitor to end the day.

I was surprised to see no other signs of humans.  At first, I only had deer trails, some of them fresh because I spooked a small herd of healthy does the minute I walked into the woods, but once I got to the creek, I mostly stayed there and was able to move around and cover a decent amount of water.  About a foot of bare rock was exposed on each side, perhaps because the limestone water and sun helped melt some back from the edge.  A hole where I thought I had the best shot of a fish or two, and the best chance of seeing some risers, didn’t pay off until the second pass through, but it yielded a decent 10-inch wild brown.  The first fish took one of Eric’s big rubber legged jigs in some current, so he was the one I was hoping for, the one fish who needed to pry himself off the bottom to take a big meal.  It happened early enough in my three hours on the water that I had some confidence in my plan to dredge big bugs through pocket water looking for an opportunist or two instead of midging under a bobber, which I have talked to death about hating on this blog. 

Kept hope alive for a couple hours.

I took another 90 minutes to land my second fish, this one on Sam’s golden stone.  He tied me some smaller ones in the last batch, more suited to smaller streams.  I don’t believe there are golden stones in this creek, but it’s a good attractor that gets down deep.  Plus, this one was a rainbow, so what did she know!?  A few get in this section each year, but they are not common.  I land maybe five of them a year, plus a brookie or two.   The commish does stock bows in places and clubs do too, so I don’t think any of these beauties are wild.  This fish was a good 13+ inches, colored up with all her fins translucent, regrown, and tipped in white, but the tail and even the adipose looked like they had grown back over time.  When I hooked this fish, she was in moderate current and pretty shallow, looking for a warm up, perhaps.  This is more common on sunny days, but sometimes near the end of a winter afternoon it happens regardless of sun, I guess.  It did not fight like a brown—digging for the bottom and the structure that would help dislodge the hook—instead this one wanted to get back out in the current and go.  For a second I thought I had fouled hooked something because this fish would not give up.  Eventually, I saw her and the golden stone in the corner of her mouth.  It was hard to be disappointed with her status as a holdover rainbow after a showing like that on such a slow day.  I was not mad at her, even if she was pissed!  

I'm not mad at you, girl.















This was just a beautiful fish with deep pink and reds, even some amber.  Like most healthy rainbows, she did not willingly pose for photos for long, and I sent her back with a lot of remaining energy despite a rather long fight for such a small creek.  When I checked the phone, it was close to 5 PM at this point, so I decided to head back to my “parking spot.”  I did find a narrow worn path on the opposite bank where brave dog walkers and hikers had passed since the last storm, so the walk back was picturesque but not excessively aerobic.  A huge flock of birds began roosting and moving as one in the tops of trees, a large enough group to be migratory, so while no robins or other signs of spring yet, the longer days will keep on coming.  I saw stocking begins next week on the DHALO and FFO spots, so more options closer to home should lead to a more productive second half of February.  Still, I have my eye on Sunday…

Some blurrier B reel since it's been a while!




4 comments:

  1. Not expecting a post actually so I was pleasantly surprised when I clicked. Not bad to catch a few, amazing how the bows get around and seem to thrive actualy.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I rose to the challenge myself, RR! Early this week looks do-able, but I even bagged Sunday (today). They never stay long in this section, the bows, maybe just pass through when they get wanderlust, but they are almost always thick and pretty. Fertile limestoners will do that to a fish, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Not a bad day. We got a real winter this year compared to the past two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, man. It's not over yet either. Can't stop the longer days from doing their thing, though. Things are waking up, as you know!

      Delete