Sunday, February 28, 2021

February 28, 2021 – The Anniversary Party was a bit of a Downer – SEPA Blueline

The sullen walk of shame as the flow quickly doubles....

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I won’t write too much here.  Eric and I tried to sneak one in before the rain yesterday, committing to a sunrise start on our little spot.  I was hoping for a bit of stain before the steady rain brought the cold slush into the creek, but with nowhere to go but into the gutters and creeks, it did not take long for even a light rain to end that potential good window.  It was mild overnight, so that was a plus, but the creek was barely stained when we arrived, and the stain we got late morning was the gray, cold kind.  It was just about a year ago today that we made our first visit to this small freestoner in search of wild browns.  Even then, with no intel or experience on the creek, I landed two fish to confirm we might have something here!  Today, we got nothing to show for a solid six hours of fishing but a healthy glow—the benefits of what the Norwegians call friluftsliv.  This was Eric’s second skunk here this year, but like me he is undeterred.  We know how this creek comes alive in another month!  Until then, this guy will be sneaking around more productive limestoners.  I may even go west to fish with Sam during my spring break.

I will think all the snow was pretty in a year, but it's getting old now.


4 comments:

  1. There is no shame in tenacity!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, if I were by myself I would have been there even longer if only to wing a sucker or something! Although, I hope I have gotten wiser over time. We gave it go. My buddy Jeff wanted to try and catch a striper today, and I had to explain that just because you can fish for them now doesn't you should!

      Delete
    2. I will try the lake starting April 1 for bass. There is an outside chance I talk the little woman into a week in South Nags Head in April......tough sell since we are booked a week there in June with the kids and 2 weeks in November just her and I....

      RR

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I feel like April 1 is better goal for bass of the black or striped variety! Tell her your wife if you dial in the fish better in April, then it will be a better family vacation. A selfless scouting trip....

      Delete