Thursday, February 25, 2021

February 25, 2021 – A Solid Early Spring Start despite the Snow Melt and the Fact that It’s Still Winter – Northampton County Limestoner

Waking up and not missing meals.

All the snow in the Lehigh Valley is slowly melting away—well, slowly most of the time.  I think the melt got intense on Wednesday, but it slowed down again this morning.  I wanted to get out early, but after checking on some work, I left after 10 AM.  The late start was probably advantageous in the end, but I was worried about icy runoff, I guess.  I had a slow beginning of the trip, catching nothing from 11:30 to 2 PM, although I got high-holed by a spinner guy.  Twice, actually.  I moved down two holes to get away from him the first time, and soon enough he was in my peripheral vision again!  The water in this first section of the creek, below a tributary, was stained and likely colder from increased snow melt, but later in the day, I fished cleaner pocket water and put together a good run of fish.  It was also windy to start, so throwing small bugs on a tight line was a challenge.  When the wind died off around 1:30 or 2, it was easier to see that the creek was coming to life.  Birds were eating stranded bugs out of the snow on the banks, and I started seeing the telltale signs of mayflies among the midges. 

A nice run of decent fish on perdigons.
After changing locations and my approach as a result, I think I tangled with 10 and landed 8 fish, which is a fine afternoon on this particular creek, which can be difficult.  I was pleased to find them in pocket water and under the heavier water even if they were deep.  Out of curiosity, I took a good long water temperature reading around 3 PM, and I was surprised to see 44 degrees in this second section of water.  Maybe not streamer conditions, but not bad when you consider all the snow in sight in my photos.  The fish acted right, too.  A least three of them even jumped a couple times.  

Eric's new toy is a UV light.

For about an hour of the aforementioned productive run, there were midges and sparse numbers of blue winged olives hatching too.  When I saw that, I switched from a big attractor and a buggy dropper that was needed to get down in the heavier stained water and wind to a size 14 walts on the point and a variety of Eric’s new perdigons on the dropper.  During the hatch, I picked up four in a row on the perdigon, including a good 14 incher.  These first few fish, and one decent one I dropped, were in the sun and rather shallow, sitting in slightly softer pockets right in the riffles and runs.  They took the tiny dropper up off the bottom, and I even saw a few subtle rises at times.  Despite tight lining a size 18, I only lost two fish on such a small barbless hook, even in pocket water, because they were eating it like they wanted it.  The two I lost hit on the swing below me, so the hookset may not have been solid.  Most of them ate it, though. It actually felt like spring for a couple hours.  Nice fish popping in broken water and solidly bouncing the leader when they hit!

Some solid fish in the mix!

Eventually, this stretch gets deeper and bouncier, so the walts worm started pulling ahead.  With a stain, the deeper pockets were dark and hiding some recent snags, so I eventually broke off the first set of productive bugs.  I reminded myself to try a couple more of Eric’s perdigons as I retied.  One really dark olive one did not do much—I think I dropped a second fish on this one—but a third perdigon that was more of a thread body also picked up a good 12-inch fish, so it wasn’t all walts for the rest of the day.  I would say the bite died off around 4 PM as I started losing sun.  I thought about trying the holes the spinner dude helped blow up earlier, but I decided not to get greedy.  I also promised to pick up some supplies for the family on my ride home, and I was looking at a potential rush hour supermarket visit as it was. 

More pretty fish, a few on the walts as the hatch fizzled.

The snow on the banks was slushy, and more bare muddy spots were showing as I walked out.  I took a shot of the low sun while taking my last swig of water and decided to call it.  It is not consistent by any means, but it is around this time every year that the change begins.  I was happy to be present for one of those days that decided to be spring despite all the white stuff.  Still no robins or flowers peaking up through the snow, but it can’t be long now.  I anticipate a lot of folks playing hooky on Friday, and once the rain ends on Saturday, the crowds will be out.  Thankfully, Eric and I have date with our little secluded gem for Sunday—rain or shine, and it sounds like rain.  I anticipate a streamer or junk fly kind of day, but the bugs may have other plans.

Called it a little earlier than usual, but no need to press after a solid day.


3 comments:

  1. Pretty good range of color on those trout. So for streamers you would want more stain or little higher water temp?

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I have never put time into any definitive temp range, RR! Good question. It was a gut thing with the color of the stream for me. Where I started fishing looked colder and was gray with snow melt. By the afternoon when I fished cleaner water, the hatch made it a no brainer to fish small bugs for numbers. That is not to say that fish would not have moved for a bugger in that temperature. Sun is another factor with streamer fishing. Bright sun and stained water = not great. It just lights up the particles in the water and makes it harder for fish to pick out a meal, especially higher in the water column where the effect is the worst.

      Delete
  2. Nice catch - as you say, put the bug in front of them and if they are hungry, they will eat :-) Things changing here, talk to you after March 8th.

    ReplyDelete