Tuesday, April 12, 2022

April 12, 2022 – Spring Break, Midday, with the Boy – Northampton County Limestoner

Looking for a fresh stocker.

My son is on spring break this week, and until my wife is off on Thursday and Friday, it’s just me, the boy, and the cat.  I knew he just wanted some unlimited gaming and no early bedtimes this week, maybe to see some friends, but he also jumped at the chance to get out on a nice day this week when we spoke about it last.  We both had doctor’s appointments and such this week too, but I had no class on Tuesday night, so with sun and 75 degree temps, today was the day.  It was a fun afternoon with lunch and even ice cream on the way home, but the fishing was about as good as it usually is when I get him out on a lovely afternoon for humans.  He knows timing is everything, but he also likes his sleep at 14, so his expectations were appropriately low.  We did mess with some fish, but it was hardly awesome fishing. 

Not even the bucket brigade could turn the tide in the current conditions.

Even fresh-from-the-truck stockers couldn’t help the cause today.  I originally didn’t see the truck go by, but I saw the convoy of pickups and SUVs behind it and realized this was no funeral but the stocking brigade.  We were not in a section of the creek that is a main focus of the effort, but they did stop and dump a few buckets on their way to the most utilized sections.  With water high, I wanted to see if the boy could move a big fish with the Rapala in a few likely spots.  We had the first cast curse as I was demonstrating how to fish the plug in the current conditions.  I must have tied a crappy knot, however, because the fish took the 8 dollar plug in about 5 seconds.  I was encouraged, but we had to work for a few more fish.  I landed a couple on a jigged bugger when he gave me permission to work a hole for a few minutes, and he dropped one before the net job after I rigged him up some nymphs under a thingamabobber.  Oh, the irony of seeing big fish pictures and hearing of my adventures and seldom having such successes with Dad!  I told him the next time we get out it will be in Jeff’s beach buggy or on the Susky sled with Kenny (or at least I will bring bait).  He is a little intrigued by fly fishing and the idea of wild fish, so a dry dropper on the right day is still in the cards this spring.


2 comments:

  1. Good you two got out together. Tough when a knot gives way. Nice pics of the boy on a beautiful stream.
    RR

    ReplyDelete