Tuesday, April 5, 2022

April 5, 2022 – A Slightly Better Stockie Experience – SEPA Freestoner

A couple stocked brookies.

The Silver Fox sent me a text on Monday saying he had a lot of action on Sunday at a local club-stocked crick.  When he said they were sort of where they were supposed to be, he made my decision about where I would try to chase stockies at least once this week.  Because the place gets a fall stocking too, and is often stocked with care, the experience feels a lot closer to “real” trout fishing.  In contrast, Eric has gone down the street, which is not only a scarred wasteland following massive tree removal operations to make the park safe post-Ida, but also a dump ‘em at the bridge situation.  No thanks. 

Fun just picking one or two out of unlikely spots and a couple go-to holes.

Based on Tom’s trustworthy reporting and with few exceptions, I targeted pocket water away from the obvious holes and had a blast for about two hours.  I caught probably 10 small rainbows that were likely stocked in the fall, as they were white-tipped, holding in out-of-the-way pockets, and acrobatic as heck.  I think all but two took a size 16 duracell and those others took a 16 red tag fly on the dropper.  When I fished two favorite holes, I did find a couple bigger brook trout that I believe were stocked this spring.  I had to be home before noon for a meeting on Zoom, so I fished from maybe 9 to 11 and had a surprisingly good time.  I used to take my dad here too, so that was an added bonus to have those memories along for the walk.


2 comments:

  1. "Eric has gone down the street, which is not only a scarred wasteland following massive tree removal operations to make the park safe post-Ida, but also a dump ‘em at the bridge situation. No thanks." It's stuff like this that makes your blog worth reading! ROFL Maybe a few teenagers throwing bricks at the big Palamino would complete the urban trout fishing experience!

    In a parallel universe, I was at the lake where my Dad took the neighborhood kids fishing 50 years ago. I said to my buddy, "Can you believe my Dad took six kids out here and fished off that bridge all day way back when?" Upon his passing, many of them meentioned those trips to me. I think my Grandson is ready to pull his first bluegill out of that lake...............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kudos, RR! Some days do inspire me to exercise the writing muscles more than others. That is exciting about the grandson too. My boy is off next week, so we are going somewhere cool on Monday or Tuesday, maybe the one of my fav NEPA spots or something.

      Delete