Tuesday, April 26, 2022

April 26, 2022 – First Legit Pig of the Year (and Friends) – Northampton County Limestoner

So much for no more face shots?

I had one of those nearly perfect days today: numbers of fish, good average size, one fish that would have been a day-maker on any other day, and one pig in the low 20s, which was my best of the year so far and a personal best for this particular creek.  I have heard discussions of late about this creek’s decline, but I’ve actually had it great the last two years.  The slow start and dreadful winter I experienced here had me believing that maybe it truly was declining, however.  It is easy to access, easy to wade, and close to civilization, so it just gets pounded.  I am glad I have not given up on it because today proved that all my time and effort to crack the code could still pay dividends, and a couple other creeks in the region may just be late bloomers this year, as well.  The code had not changed all that much.  Still small, natural bugs rule the day—generally no hot spots and clown flies and attractors, no big articulated streamers.  Caddis and other hatches help, and today the black sedges and some larger tan were out in force, but for a lot of the year, it’s a perdigon or size 18 larva for me, sometimes a single bug in pocket water.  Like a couple other creeks in the region too, when you find rainbows cooperating, the wild browns are likely not going to eat.  I fish this creek probably 25 times per year, and I have an easy day maybe three times—I even got a few to eat brood X last year—but there are many days that require work.  Today was not that day.  I actually only fished four hours today, quitting shortly after catching my second big wild trout of the day, but fish were willing that entire time.

Tough guy.  A little esox in him?

I landed two fish in the 14-inch range and a couple of last year’s YOY within the first hour or less, so I had a feeling it was going to be good.  The obvious spots, even a difficult spot that has been my go-to this winter and early spring when I just need a decent fish, well, they were barren.  I had a feeling the obvious holes got pounded over the weekend, so Tuesday was a good day to see if they came out of hiding.  No dice.  They had moved into feeding lanes with more cover, apparently.  The best fish was in a pocket all of 18 inches deep taking emergers and larva, and he was tight to the bank and more cover.  The other big fish had her nose right in the whitewater close to an overhanging tree.  So even though a hatch was going on and most of the fish were feeding subsurface, the better ones did not get too brave, even in low light.  That is not part of the code for this creek, just a reality about larger wild fish on most creeks, of course.  Walking right into a creek to fish the middle is never wise when smarter fish are using the cover close to the banks for security from overhead opportunists. 

Some average small fish and the small bugs (even a hot spot on Eric's bug).

I caught the first couple on one of Eric’s bugs (with a hot spot, so code be damned some days), but most of the fish ate a green caddis larva or a darker CDC dropper.  My go-to bug on this creek, a little brown nothing hare’s ear in size 18, also scored a handful.  Flows were great with minimal stain, so I had the cloudy conditions and the warmth to thank for exceptional fishing.  It was not a streamer day or a day to pop on a bobber, but there was enough water to allow some close quarters tightline nymphing with a mono rig.  All the fish fought so hard in the prime water temps and good flows that both times I hooked a big fish, I had no clue really how big until I finally saw them.  Working through pocket water with two size 18 bugs, I had a decent fish go under a rock and break off my 6X fluorocarbon tippet.  I did not want to go up too high, but I have been messing with the Trout Hunter half sizes once in a while and happened to have 5.5X fluoro.  That held the rest of the fish, including the pigs, although I had to go after the biggest one, hopping down the creek trying to stay even or below him when possible.

The farewell shot before a good release.

This big pig that opens this post and is pictured a few times was an alpha, for sure.  Kyped jaw, toothy, long pointy head, big fins, a gut.  I am sure his DNA is all over the creek by now.  While scouting redds in the fall, I have seen some really big fish on this creek, and I have landed several in that 18 to 19 range over the years, but this was a PB for this creek.  I would be charmed if I tangle with another this large again in my lifetime on such a small creek.  It won’t be for lack of trying, and it won’t be because I mistreated this fella.  Pics were meh, just a low-def selfish with the phone propped up on the bank and one or two as I lifted him to release, a close up while still in the net of that face.  Even after quite a fight on 5.5 X on my 10’ 3 weight rod, he did not linger in the soft water near the bank where I set him down, but instead moved off quickly to find some cover, perhaps embarrassed he had been had today.

A day-maker any other day.

Maybe he’ll be less embarrassed if he hears that another mature fish on this beat fell prey to the same bug less than an hour later?  On any other day, this second little piggy, perhaps our stud’s mate each fall, would have been the one today.  Again, some blurry pics, but the light and humidity were not on my side today, and I was taking pains to get them back quickly.  Ethical hero shots are not easy fishing solo, and because the first fish was so large, I did not even hand measure this second one.  My experience tells me about 17 or 18 inches.  I finished out the beat with a couple more fish, and at least one more over 12 inches, but the day was capped with this hen.  I have quit for the day on lesser fish not wanting to overstay my welcome or anger the fish gods.  Today, the rain is what prompted me to call it good, that and a sore lower back from who knows what—just a 53 year old body?   Surely a memorable day, this one.  More to come this year, I hope.  At least I know not to count out my favorite cricks this year just because they began the year in a bad mood.  They certainly have been loved too much the last two years, and abused by weather, but they might be tougher than they look.

More shots of nice fish only relegated to collage on a day like today.




4 comments:

  1. You may have found your new blog image there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a twofor! Those are some beautiful fish good buddy!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud! Yeah, it was a charmed day, especially for SEPA.

      Delete