Saturday, March 25, 2023

March 25, 2023 – Mentored Mitch Day – SEPA Crick

He put on a show!

The weather was iffy, but the boy and I found a productive window from about 3:15 to 5 PM to take a swing at the fresh stockies.  The creek down the street has been low, so the quarter to half an inch of rain only improved fishing, adding a stain that made the fish silly.  I bet he landed a dozen in that short window, and he had several more on and many, many bumps.  I was mostly playing rod caddy and helping to land and quickly release the fish.  A CD 3 Rapala with barbs crimped down did the trick.  Some things never change though.  Longtime readers of this here blog may remember my love/hate relationship with these very effective, rather expensive, and very poorly made plugs.  I used to send broken ones back by the dozen until the service department sent me a cease and desist letter.  Well, they replaced them for a while, then changed the form letter to say the users were “dredging” them and “whacking” them on the surface to clean off algae, you know fishing a sinking plug….  Most of the time none of that was true, and certainly none of that was true with the boy today.  He had two plugs break in under two hours.  The first was the classic diving lip cracking.  The second was a rarer one—the rear of the plug broke and the back trebles were just dangling on exposed wire.  I have just been going through old stock, so I did not care.  A moment to tie on a new one, and we were back in action.  However, I saw the price of them at Dick’s this year!  Unbelievable for a poorly made POS.  Anyway, the boy let me catch three while demonstrating.  We also had a big old golden that was a player.  He charged the plug three times but never got got.  I also rolled an enormous rainbow while demonstrating a new retrieve for the boy.  It was a fun afternoon, and he’s excited to get after them, maybe even with the fly rod, after Opening Day in much nicer weather.

6 comments:

  1. Love to see father and child fishing! I say child since my one daughter loves fishing to this day.
    I'll try this again to the Dude who got me off of bait and into the world of rapala for stockies way back when. :) Get you some 2 part 5 minute epoxy. Take those new rapalas out of the box and with a toothpick run a thin bead of well mixed epoxy where the lip meets the lure and let it cure for few days.
    For the used ones with the pulled lip, let the plug dry out for a week. Then load the slot with epoxy and put some on the lip where it goes into the plug and push the lip into it's proper position plus a little more epoxy around the lip/body junction. Unless the lip is actually broken it can be saved. Works great on Rebel Wee R too!

    P.S. my buddy had a similar letter writing campaign with Bagley's back in the day...............it ended the same way.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, RR! I think you sent me that solution several years ago, and I still haven't tried for myself.... Makes sense, though.

      Delete
  2. Glad you were able to get out there with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, good times, Dave! He has spring break this week, so we will likely chase some more stockies later in the week.

    ReplyDelete