Friday, March 31, 2023

March 31, 2023 – Yep, More Stockies – Chester County

Three fish, two out of bounds.

I spent a few hours mostly walking with a fishing rod this afternoon at a Chester County DHALO that I have not visited yet this year.  I think I visited once last year for a couple hours, but the creek, like many, has definitely been diminished by storms in the last five years.  It is much wider and therefore much skinnier in some old hot spots.  And there are sandy and scoured-out holes now that are chest deep too.  It was relatively busy and got busier after 2 PM, but not as busy as Valley probably was, and I caught a few fish—like three, I believe.  Two of them were well below the usual stocking points because I have a problem fishing for stockies like they’re stockies, I figure.  I just cover ground and look for active fish and signs of active fish, so I ran out of water quickly, especially water that did not have someone else camped out in it.  The fish have been in a month and the water was low and cold today, but there were adult caddis, some of them large.  The creek is probably rather cooperative early and late, and with better flows, but I will not know this year, I am afraid.  See you in about a year, Chester County DHALO!  Next!  More interesting fishing next week if all goes to plan.

A lot of crick pics.  I guess I missed the place?


2 comments:

  1. Years ago the bride to be and I used to go to Kerr Park. The ponds there had trout that some group used for eventual stocking. Perhaps some went there? Nice creek pics, too bad you didn't hit them better.

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That creek in Downingtown is a DHALO up closer to Marsh Creek. I am not sure how much further downstream they stock, however. I have only fished the special regs sections a few times in Feb and March over the years.

      Delete