Thursday, March 9, 2023

March 9, 2023 – I Decided to Make the More Challenging Choice? – Valley Creek

Pretty little ones on a pretty day.

On the this, the best weather day of the week since Monday, I had every intention of poking around a nearby DHALO and catching some fresh stockies amongst the potential crowd of hopefuls.  In the end, however, I just couldn’t do it.  Instead, I decided to fish a dry dropper in the low and clear water closer to the headwaters of Valley, a place I had every intention of writing off until perhaps next winter due to all the pressure it's been getting in the Park.  I ended up sneaking around effectively enough to catch ten little fish up to 7 inches but not effectively enough not to spook a ton of others, including some better ones.  I spooked one good one that I had not seen by landing my dry right on his head, I assume.  He immediately shot back downstream at me and likely sent some friends and family hauling ass upstream too.  I definitely hung up due to the wind gusts and spoiled at least two holes, and I definitely lost the best fish of the day after a short fight.  With midges in the air and some really small olives, I was fishing an 18 or maybe even 20 riffle nymph under the dry fly, so I guess I just didn’t get a good enough hookset.  It was enough action and surely challenging enough, so I did not regret my decision to forego fishing for stocked fish.  Had I landed the one 10- or 11-incher that jumped off, I may have even counted it a banner couple of hours on the water, especially under these conditions.


2 comments:

  1. Better than the crowd at the stockie patch for sure. I guess the tough conditions and closed streams will be ending soon!

    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we can get back at in on April 1, unless the boy wants to go out the week before for the mentored youth day. Some stockies on the agenda next week, I guess!

      Delete