Friday, May 17, 2024

Deep Thoughts #10 - Sorry, Gonna be a Buzzkill Here for a Moment….

Schmidtties?

Let me preface what follows by saying that I am not a teetotaler by any means, and to be honest I have one failed college attempt in my late teens and a DUI in my early 30s to offer as my bona fides.  Perhaps my age and experience and history make me more attuned to this, and I am sorry if I ruin anyone’s reading pleasure or make them get too self-reflective (or reflexive) about their own habits.

Alcoholism runs in the far-from-glamorous, seasonally-depressing, and anxiety-ridden guiding business for sure (and on the Irish side of my family—three of my four sides are Irish, too).  I have avoided that issue myself (arguably, says the aforementioned DUI expunged from my record after ARD classes).  

All this preamble is to ask, is anyone else getting a bit suspicious and/or tired of the alcohol “product placement” in every bit of fly fishing media??

I am the father of a 16-year-old, and I was probably a 16-year-old boy who ravenously read fishing magazines around the time when beer and alcohol ads were getting banned for good reasons from publications in the US.  Now The Drake, Fly Fisherman, and others have to get creative and slip beer ads into the book and website review sections or something.   I have seen fishing-themed beer reviews in several places: “Best Beers After a Long Day of Fishing” or some shit like that…

And there is mention of alcohol in over half of the articles, sometimes more than half!  In a recent Drake there was a story that was more about sipping beer than catching largemouth, as if the beer was necessary even though it made dude miss fish because he was paying more attention to the beer than the fishing.  A cheap laugh, basically, one my 16-year-old self might have found funny.  Not five pages later, a story about fishing-themed watering holes….

Pun, see?

Don’t even get me started on the beer companies who put fish on the label and then give some pittance of profits to the environment.  That is the equivalent of check-out line donations and receipt roundups: “Target gave 1 million dollars of its customers’ money to a charity because we care…”  Just donate from your record profits if you care so much.  Rep my Member, Rep my Water!  But I digress….

Lastly, is it a chicken or the egg thing?  Did every writer turn to this lazy-ass trope about having a drink before, after, and/or during a fishing experience to make the experience complete?   Or is there backdoor influence by the industry that has seeped into our brains and now makes its way onto the page whenever a writer needs a quick way to ingratiate himself to a reader—hmmm…we all drink, so I need to work in a drinking reference here!

Even kind of looks like edible weed packaging, you know?


Legalized cannabis is next, of course, and I am working tirelessly in the lab to formulate some edibles that look just like thingamabobbers.  Sorry to be a buzzkill, but something is up, perhaps innocent, perhaps a bit more insidious, but either way the youth and this old man are watching and learning.  For what it's worth I am going to send a version of this letter to The Drake and maybe post on PAFF after I run it by Dave Kile.

Cheers, everyone!


10 comments:

  1. I'm love freedom I love Capitalism no buts about it . The magazine business is in its dying throws so I don't blame them for taking advertising money from anyone . But I do think that alcoholism , is a disease , we have a mental wellness issue in this country at this time ,and loads of issues with the target audience Young Men . So I agree with the blog post . We show everyone with alcohol, super cool. I think it's mostly false masculinity . News Flash Ted Williams was used to advertise fishing gear for Sears, not because he drank beer but he was a Vet , an All-star & a great American., ( I know he wasn't an angel and probably advertised beer) but I'd rather him influence people rather than I just got off the river , must crack a cold one .
    And don't get me started on Flyfishing Influencers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in, Jay! All true what you've said above.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, there is a perception that a fishing trip is just an excuse to drink. Th adage you hear, “Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.” Comes to mind. People look at me with disbelief when I say “I never drink when I fish.” Your post is well taken by me. As someone who raised 3 kids, I feel your angst/agida at this precarious time in your boy’s life. Good luck, you’ll get through it but it can be a cliff hanger sometimes!
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm done fishing , I'm sore , tired , sun burned , wind burned , dehydrated , cramping , and bug bitten ...( And I love it ) People have that perception of sitting in a boat watching a bobber drinking cheap beer ... explaining Flyfishing is so tedious , I just say yup my feet are up and I'm eating soggy sandwiches

      Delete
    2. Totally agree with the misperceptions! I remember my doctor asking about exercise and his face scrunching up when I mentioned fishing. I had to explain the ins and outs of wading for 7 hours after walking in a mile :)

      Delete
  3. Beer isn’t going anywhere and neither is beer advertising. Alcohol is engrained in our society and so is money. Brewers and liquor companies have a product to sell and advertising gets that done. And as one of your other commenters noted, magazines and websites are too crunched for cash to pass up the revenue. So like it or not, I don’t think the beer ads are going anywhere. But you are the dad of a 16 year old boy so I get your hand wringing and angst. On a somewhat related note – I think all the online gambling ads during NFL telecasts and other sporting events are even worse than all the beer/alcohol ads these days. Those gambling ads are pounded into kids from the minute they start watching sports when they’re like 5 years old and I know for a fact that tons of kids use the gambling apps on their phones (without their parents’ knowledge) before they’re even in college. So yeah, between alcohol and gambling and mental wellness and a host of other dangers, it’s a rough time to be a kid and arguably even rougher to be a parent. All you can do is talk to them as much as possible and hope you can keep them on the righteous path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree the gambling apps are out of control , even apps like Robinhood are treated like a gambling site for meme stocks .
      Agree beer isn't going anywhere , but thinking about this makes me realize how good the marketing campaigns are because a lot of social media posts mirror them , and they aren't even getting paid

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is another one that gets under my skin, online gambling and sports. Pete Rose was born a few decades too late! As you raise, it is not just the ads, it is how they got into the culture of fishing so much that you are often hard pressed to find a magazine or blog without beer mentions.

      Delete
    3. "Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket"
      -George Orwell


      Nothing beats issues of Field & Stream and Outdoor Life from the 80's and 90's, mostly liquor and smokes. I remember vividly the Gordon Lightfoot looking guy in the camel ads, ha.

      Delete
    4. Here, I always thought those guys were Kris Kristofferson ;)

      Delete