Friday, May 3, 2024

May 3, 2024 – Protect the Wiss, Y’all – The Mighty Wissahickon Creek

Perhaps the sign was a sign.

I love the sentiment of the sign, especially sitting right next to the more subdued call to action from the Friends of the Wissahickon.  It was a good reminder that my membership ends this month and it’s time to renew.  The park is definitely loved, and loved too much, but I still value this urban oasis for quick getaways like this morning.  I also appreciate the stewards of the Park who have filled the gap left by the ever dwindling funding for the Fairmount Parks Commission.  Before having to start a new job last year, I had taken steps to become an official crew supervisor/volunteer wrangler.  I was selected and had to decline because starting a new job with the added responsibilities that came with this role was too much.  The two offers had coincided so closely together that I just could not do it.  I am still motivated to get more involved beyond the odd volunteer day or park cleanup, however.  Perhaps the sign was a sign?

Even a bass and a rock bass or three.

I had a light morning with work, so I decided to fish one of the sections that I proposed to the SleepySheep last weekend.  We ended up fishing another favorite section of mine and finding plenty of fish, but this particular section can also be quite productive.  It’s been a while since we had a good rain, so the crick is getting lower and warmer (65 degrees in early May before 9 AM).  A couple of 90-degree days in a row, and more 80s next week won’t help, but today’s cooler temperatures, tonight’s low, and some rain this weekend will give the place a charge.  Not that I suffered from poor fishing!  I just half-expected bonkers fishing.  Instead, I found steady action on small bugs fished deep and slow.  I saw at least two very large fish, like in the mid-twenties, so I know some derby fish remain in this area, but I did not get them to eat this morning.  I had one golden move towards the bugs, but no frankenfish content for today's post, so you know how that encounter ended.

Protect the Wiss Y'all!

Only one small bass cooperated, but I caught several pretty sunfish along with the usual rock bass if the bugs landed in water just a tad too soft.  I wanted to find trout in the riffles, and I did when I looked for them, but I did not find as many eaters as I had expected for such warm water.  Perhaps, it was the front that came through?  This morning was significantly cooler and breezier than it has been.  There were caddis and midges bringing some fish to the surface chasing emergers, but no pattern of fish taking bugs on the swing (except the sunfish, who are wild and have been with the program for a while now).  I did not toss a bugger, not even a jigged bugger, but with the water pretty low and very clear, I decided to stay with a frenchie on the point and a small pt on the dropper—both of which were eaten in equal measure.  Something a bit more adventurous on Saturday to take advantage of the low water on a bigger creek, methinks.  The boy is game for a beach trip on Sunday too.  We shall see how he feels about wind-driven rain, however....


No comments:

Post a Comment