Friday, May 24, 2024

May 24, 2024 – Young Kenny Still Has the Juice – Susquehanna River

That's over 20 inches, Young Kenny.

I have not really written about this before, but my boy Kenny has been sick, and it’s not something he is going to beat.  There have been upsides to this journey too.  We have had some real talks about the changes that have taken place in him.  He’s always had depth and, besides the shared fishing obsession, it is a reason why we are friends.  But he has had access to himself in a way that has probably changed his life and how he sees the world.  Maybe things really do happen for a reason?  As a contemporary and also a dad, it certainly affects my perspective on life when I hang with my boy(s), and it definitely makes me appreciate these days together, and all the days in the past, on a different level.  We laughed our asses off again today and still had no filter even around a new captain, Glenn, who is working for Chris Gorsuch of Reel River Adventures.  Glenn looked like he was enjoying himself, but I imagine he had some stories for Chris tonight!  We actually hung with Chris at the ramp at the take-out today, so we were able to catch up and plant the seeds for a trip this summer with my son up on the North Branch.  Today, Kenny and I made Glenn look good, just as he made us look good.  A bunch of nice fish got in the net, and a couple even laid down for a quick measure on the deck.   Kenny snuck in a 20+ too, just to demonstrate that the kid still has it.

We might be able to get Glenn to dance next time?  Or did he?

I met Kenny at his house around 5:30 AM, and we probably launched before 8 AM.  The river was high but nothing crazy, but there was a lot of mud still flushing out from the banks and tributaries.  Funny thing is that Chris had his party fishing soft plastics all day, and they also had a good day, but Kenny and I ended up tossing a black or dark green chatterbait nearly 90% of the day.  That is actually a lot less work than finesse fishing, so I was down for it.  It is also a lot fewer snags and rerigging for our captain, which I am sure he appreciated.  When Kenny, my dad, and I used to fish Canada for 5-7 days in a row, I often took a day or two just to throw a shallow running crankbait as a way to take it easier and switch up from concentrating on that telltale *tic* of a pickup all day long.  We tried a squarebill or two today, even a spinnerbait, but the fish wanted that dark profile and the vibration.  I know it was the vibration drawing many strikes because we probably had a number of bumps and territorial nudges until we started pausing for them to catch up for a second attack.

I got a few good ones too.

Kenny started out very slow.  I bet I had 20 fish to his one in the first hour or more.  He was getting in his own head despite my constant teasing—go figure πŸ˜‰—followed by assurances that I know he can fish (I am not a total douche).  He took a break, had a sandwich and was feeling better.  Glenn gets the assist, however.  He was curious about all the soft rock that tends to get played when Kenny and I fish with Chris.  It was a new window into his business partner or ammunition, maybe both.  Well, once Glen put on the yacht rock playlist, it was game on for Young Kenny.  He had two hours or more of going toe to toe with me, and even after he had decided to take a break or call it for the day, he made a precise cast to a spot Glenn called out and landed the best of the day.  When I landed a 19 not ten minutes after that in another spot Glenn called, we were content to end our afternoon a bit early.  Before that, plenty of solid smallmouth were landed, many over 15, a few 17s and 18s mixed in, even a big old channel cat that ate a chatterbait in the cushion in front of an island. 

A lot of bass, yo.

It was a hot day for May 24, and visibility was terrible, but by recognizing seams and structure, paired with Glenn’s knowledge of what lies beneath even without seeing it, we found fish up tight to rock piles, riffs, and grass beds at a steady pace.  Chris had another party out today, as I mentioned, but he also paired us with Glenn to get a trusted assessment of his newer guide.  I would give Glenn high marks, and I would fish with him again for sure.  His boat was sexy too, a roomy jet sled that performed well.  Glenn was good company too, and definitely got a show from the two jamokes on the decks.  He mentioned that he usually does not get to take out experienced bass fishermen, and he even marveled that we could throw his personal baitcaster.  Fly fishing has not robbed my ability to chunk and a wind, though I did have a minor backlash that he justifiably had to bust my balls about 😊.  A good day with a good friend who still can fish well despite all the challenges.


8 comments:

  1. Those are some really pretty Smallies there! Any Walleyes in the mix? Circa 1979 I caught them mixed in with the smallies south of there, but way more smallies.
    RR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No walleye today. We do get a few on the North Branch each summer, however.

      Delete
  2. Keeping it real up in the field…ah-ite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don’t sell yourself short, Chris, you are an incredible douche. All kidding aside it was a great trip and I enjoy the conversation to and from. Grateful for the friendship. I don’t have many friends but the quality is better than average.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That last one should be a life goal, yeah?

      Delete
    2. I heard a saying about good friends for the first time last week. “I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies!” :)

      Delete